Wednesday, September 16, 2009

I forgot something Mom and Dad would LOOOVE!

Last Wednesday we had the opportunity to go underneath the center. I know it doesn't sound that exciting, and all of us were kind of like....."um...okay ?" but it was so fun! And what's more, I couldn't help but thinking how much Dad and Mom would've just died for the opportunity, with how much you guys have gone and looked at houses and frameworks and buildings and everything.

Anyway, there is a crawl space that runs underneath the entire center. The main reasons for this are genius: They wanted to have a space that made aesthetics and maintenance way easier, which it completely accomplishes. They are able to put everything that is traditionally on the roofs here underneath instead, which allows for the center to have such a great look on the outside. The roof is completely clear. Also, they can access all of the pipes and everything in the entire building from underneath. They ran everything through there. The same goes for the Kitchen, water filter, elevator motors, and everything. It's all underneath, so they can install new appliances, find and fix leaks, and service the entire building without making a mess and without having people up in the hallways and etc. They can also pull extra space out of the crawl area to add offices and etc. to the building. They already did that on level 5 when they realized they needed more office space. Very ingenious.

It's formatted like the center is, so there's an underground level underneath each level and it steps down from the eighth to the first floors, which is cool. There's also a little spot that previous students have written their names on the foundations with chalk that someone left there. Kate- I found Katie Vargo's name! And I added my name to the foundation as well, so I will forever be a part of the center. Fun, right?

Anyway, I thought you all would enjoy that. Love you all!

I should've taken my camera underneath, but I didn't...oops, sorry familia!

3 comments:

  1. That is very cool......you are right Angie, your dad and I would LOVE to see that. We love functionality in construction! That foundation's got to have a few names on it - was there room to add lots more? Maybe one day your dad and I can be service missionaries at the center and we'll add our names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just add my name for kicks. I am pretty much living through you anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you in Egypt and all you wrote about is the foundation? I mean it sounds great, but come on! You are in Egypt!!!

    ReplyDelete