Saturday, September 12, 2009

Friday and Sabbath Saturday 9/11 and 9/12 2009

Hello! I'm just pumping these out now, but I thought that if I don't get caught up TODAY that I'll forever be behind and lose precious documentation of this amazing and wonderful adventure!

Okay, so. Friday wasn't that amazing, and I had kind of this throbbing/twinging headache on the right side of my head above my right ear, so I decided not to go out and to just stay in and take it easy, try to stopped being stressed about school and just relax. It was pretty fun, there was a group of us here, and I stayed in and watched a movie. I know that sounds silly, but the reason I didn't go out is because we were going to have to come back to the center anyway and meet everyone in a few hours to go to the Western Wall (aka the Wailing Wall) as a group. Since I was already tired, I figured that I would just stay in until then. It worked out to be a great idea.

Anyway, so around six o'clock we met, all dressed in muted colors, the girls in skirts, the boys in nice shirts with Kippahs (the jewish head covering for men, aka a Yarmulke), and we walked over the wester side of the wall of the temple mount, which is a place that the Muslims have allowed Jews to come and worship, since the Dome of the Rock is sitting where the Jewish Temple once was. (The second one was destroyed in 70 AD). Just for a quick recap, the Wailing Wall is a Wall from the original platfrom that Herod built have been unearthed now, and people go to worship there, believing that God's presence has never left that wall, even though it has left some parts of the Temple Mount because of the change in denomonation and control and such. So people go and write prayers on little pieces of paper and stick them in the cracks of the wall. We went on their Sabbath, Shabbot, which starts at sundown on Friday and goes until sundown on Saturday. It was fascinating to see everyone worshiping there. It's a time to be devout and also a time to be loud and celebrate and dance. It's quite interesting. One thing that I noticed also is that the Jews there always back away from the wall, the wouldn't turn their back on it. They stand or sit as close as they can get, and put their hand on it, and pray, rocking back and forth, sometimes covering their eyes with their copy of the Torah. The devoutness was really something to see. It just made me think of how even though I may not share their beliefs, I would never mock their customs, just because of the faith and devotion they show in their worship. It's humbling, really.

When were leaving there was a big group of youth that were singing loudly and dancing together. We joined them, it was really fun. Everyone was jumping around and clapping and singing. It was a celebration of the Sabbath for them, which was very cool.

When we left there had been a shooting in a neighborhood south of where we were and the Director thought it best for us to not walk back the way we came, so they had called busses for us, and we all went the opposite direction and caught the busses and were home very quickly. Apparently the area with the shooting has been tense for some time because there are archaeological dig sites around and the government has hinted at declaring Emminent Domain in order to expand the dig sites. The people there who have had family houses in the area for hundreds of years aren't happy with that, obviously, so they have been really tense. We don't know if that was directly related, but we did hear that two Palestinians guys had been shot. It was interesting though, because it hasn't affected if I feel safe or not. There is violence in every part of the world, and hopefully the Lord will continue to bless us and keep us from harm.

This morning was the Sabbath again. I tell you, I can't keep from being emotional while sitting in the amazing Sacrament room, looking out through huge arch windows at the city, and feeling the spirit and hearing talks and taking the Sacrament. It is an amazing feeling, and gives me a lot of needed time to feel the Spirit and think about my life and etc. I really love it. I also sang in the choir again today. The prelude hymn was #1 today....I can't remember the name. Shoot. But it was Hymn #1.

After church today we went as a group to the Garden Tomb! How incredible it was. I have written in my journal about all the evidences and "puzzle pieces" they have to reasons that they believe that was the actual tomb of Christ, but the most imporant one for me, I think, was President Hunter coming to the Tomb years and years ago and feeling the spirit, and testifying later that that was the location of the Resurrection. We sand hymns while sitting there and it brought the spirit so strongly. It was also amazing to see people sit and listen to us and take our pictures and videos of us singing, and know that they also were touched by us. I also liked a story that President Brown told us today, he said he was there with President Hinckley about 20 years ago, and they were walking through the garden and came across a little plaque that reads, "Pray for Peace in Israel." and President Brown said that President Hinckley read that and said, "I do. I do pray for peace in Israel." and P.Brown thought, "If he can, why can't I?" I just thought that was a cool story. So today I stood where Christ walked, President Hunter walked, and President Hinckley walked. And many, many, many other people also. What a neat experience.

Anyway, just another day in Jerusalem, right? Wow, am I blessed. Thank you parents, for this wonderful opportunity. I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Ang your garden tomb experience sounds incredible. I loved the story too. Wow, you are having such a wonderful experience. I am so excited for you. Not that I am looking for an outlet here in Lake Village, but your little entries really inspire me--especially in the depths of lesson planning. I love you. I am so sorry we haven't had a chance to talk yet! Besos.

    ReplyDelete