Saturday, December 5, 2009

Synagoge and Christmas Concert...12-4-09

Tonight we had a big day of Classes, practicing for the Christmas concert, going to Synagogue, and then actually having the Christmas concert!

There have been 4 groups of 20 people each to go to Synagogue one friday night, and I was in the last group. We went yesterday, the fourth of December. It was really cool. We didn't go to an Orthodox Synagogue, which was nice, although I think I would've liked to have that experience. Oh well. Our experience was interesting enough.

We didn't take cameras because taking a picture on Shabbat would be lighting a fire, which is prohibited. So no cameras, and we went and sat in the Synagogue. The Rabbi was a woman, which was interesting. And the whole time she was bouncing a 10 to 11 month-old little girl on her hip, which was cute. There were a lot of kids there.

We followed along with the prayer books that have the hebrew written out in our alphabet and then an English translation, and we stood and sat, and stood and faced the back of the room (to welcome in the bride, aka Shabbat), and then sat and etc. It was pretty neat.

We got to talk to everyone there afterward. They were so nice and so welcoming. It was a very neat experience. It reminded me of sacrament in the way that it was family-oriented and that there was a lot of joy in the sabbath. It was nice.

After that we went back to the center (Vans dropped us off and picked us up), and we had dinner, and then we went to our call-time for the Christmas concert.

At eight o'clock we were all in our places, and everyone was in the audience. We started from the back and there were dancers that did a little number and we sang and walked into the auditorium. That song was "On This Day, Children Sing."

Next we did some Polish Carols, such as "As Gentle Mary," And "Lullay my Little One" and some others. We sang White Christmas, and there was a violin number, and some guys formed a Quintet and did "Santa Claus is coming to town." There were some soloists that did "Oh Holy Night." A trio of girls sang "Breath of Heaven," which is one of my favorite, favorite songs.

It really was a beautiful night. It was our gift to the community, and our chance to sing our testimonies of the savior. It really was an incredible experience.

I was on such a high afterwards, just with the Christmas spirit, and filled with love for my fellow-students and teachers in our little community, and then to all the people who came. We had the opportunity to invite people from the community that we knew well to the concert, so the audience was a mix of faiths and languages and cultures. It really was an experience unlike any other I'll ever have again...except for on Sunday, when our last performance is :) We have two. It is probably due to the fact that no Jewish people would've come on a Shabbat evening. But I am so, so excited to have the chance to sing and perform again!

I love the musical talent here. I don't want to brag, but our group is amazing. I've had several people tell me that our group continues to blow them away with the musical talent we have, and the little community we've formed. I really couldn't ask for any more.

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I didn't take any all day. I did get all cute though. I curled my hair and everything....but I guess there's no evidence for that, so you don't have to believe me :).

1 comment:

  1. Ang I love this. I am sure you looked smashing! Were you part of the trio for Breath of Heaven? I love that song. Perhaps I will go put it on...or should I put on Happy Christmas...tough decision. I miss you. We need to drive around and sing it together. Last Christmas...

    ReplyDelete