Monday, June 7, 2010

Galilee Day Nine 11-24-09

I have not written about Israel in months, maybe even over a year, and with three days left, I absolutely cannot leave this project unfinished.

On this day, in the amazing Galilean hills, I woke up at 5:45 a.m. to "a tempest raging." It was unbelievable. It was incredibly windy, and I got out of bed and headed to the beach to walk along the shore. The Sea of Galilee was not the peaceful bowl of water that it normally was, but it was almost frightening. The wind blew me along as I walked along the beach, and I thought about the Savior, walking on water to His disciples, and calming the raging storm. This morning gave me perpective to see what an awe-inspiring event this would have been to behold. Like any sea or body of water, when a storm hits it can be dangerous. I understand the fear of the disciples, in their small fishing vessel on the Sea of Galilee, wondering if they would be okay. I can see the Savior, walking out to them, and rescuing them from the storm, asking them where their faith was. As a human, I can understand their position. Having faith in the Lord is hard amid some of life's storms, but it is truly the answer to our worries and fears.

That day was my class' day to stay at the kibbutz and go to class, so I studied and made goals for my scripture studying. I spent the evening reading in the book that Mom gave me of John Alexander Clark's letters. We were scheduled to visit his grave in two days, and I wrote in my journal about how excited I was.

Oh to be, near the Sea, the Sea of Galilee. I miss that place with all my heart.

*Please keep in mind that it was 5 o'clock in the morning.... :)

"Master the Tempest is Raging" - A view of Tiberias, Israel, across the sea of Galilee

No comments:

Post a Comment